We are living in a world where everyone is constantly offended.
The salesperson who is easily offended should not be in sales.
Being easily offended is a waste of emotional energy, and it leaves people feeling depleted. To succeed in sales, your mind needs to be sharp and negative energy needs to be cleared.
I spend a few minutes a day scrolling Lab Coat Agents, which is the largest real estate agent Facebook group in the world, and I often see agents talking about how offended they are all the time. Here are 5 “offensive” things I often see commenters complaining about:
- My uncle’s brother’s sister bought a house from someone else and I’m offended…
- The other agent did or said something and I’m offended…
- My neighbor just put another agent’s sign up in their yard and I’m offended….
- My past client (that I haven’t called or spoke to since they closed 6 years ago) closed with someone else and I’m offended…
- My client was upset, they said X or they did Y, and I’m offended…
Each post attracts a bunch of other easily-offended people who validate the offended person so everyone can feel justified for being offended. It makes me want to scream! 😱
Here’s the lesson: Being offended gives someone else power over you. The real juice is in asking yourself to think deeply about what you can learn and take responsibility for – and then moving on. Next time you find yourself offended, follow these simple steps:
- Acknowledge your thoughts and feelings for 30 seconds
- Ask yourself: “What can I take responsibility for?”
- “What can I learn from this to serve me in the future?”
So… what is one thing you’ve been offended by recently?
For a good laugh about being offended, check this out:
If you know someone this post can help, please feel free to forward the link to them. Let’s hope they’re not offended. 🤣